record of embroidery and nålbinding projects
While I don't yet have many photos of the various embroidery projects I've done over the years, I thought it might be fun to start a collection of them in one place. I'll add to this as I find or create new photos...
Hmm, I think I have completed a few things that aren't yet recorded here. Opps, someday I should fill them in here. However, in the meantime, here is a new project in progress (July 2013) that got its very own post with photos.
Several nålbinding projects completed between late 2009 and May 2010 and are recorded here and here
Project completed 30 Nov 2009: a small case for a wax tablet. No embroidery per se, but I did some finger-loop braiding of sewing thread to make a clasp that matches the stitching on the case, and used a hematite and a glass bead to make a button. Photos of it in this LJ post, and more on facebook in the "art projects" folder.
A new project started 17 Aug 2010--never mind that the Oct '09 project has had pretty much no progress since those photos were taken. The inspiration for this project came from a fabric-shopping trip with racaire1 in Vienna back in May '10, where I purchased, amongst other things, a lovely black/brown wool in great quantity. I've been wanting to try a bliaut with the long torso that gets runched up, and I thought this fabric would lend itself well for that. However, in order to do that I had to decide what to do with the neckline, since my preferred technique for costumes is to finish the neck first, and then assemble the rest of it. This means that if it is going to be embroidered the embroidery needs to happen first. Eventually I decided that I'd use the same statue for inspiration as I used when I did the embellishment on my first bilaut. However, the last time I did a simple outline stitch in blue on red silk facing on a blue silk dress. This time I decided to use laid-and-couched stitch to cover a linen so that only wool yarn shows against the wool fabric. I'm using an indigo (hand dyed) wool yarn and some undyed wool. The first hour's of work looks like this (the brown/black wool that is planned for the dress is the background):
This (below) is my current project in progress (Oct 2009). The pattern is based upon the Stafford Shire Hoard specifically , this knife hilt. It is wool yarn on a wool tunic. So far it is just the outline of the border, which I am doing in single-strand split stitch (but the yarn is thick enough it is easier to split than the silk split stitch below).
This one (below) and the embroidery in my user pic are both for the Guild Banner of the Worshipful Company of Broider's of Lochac. Both worked in silk, single-strand split stitch. I did the Kingdom Arms the first time I lived in Lochac (sometime during the period May 2003 to Feb 2004) and the one of my personal coat of arms after I moved back to Tasmania (stitching done between July 2007 and Jan 2008)
This one (below) I started in about October of 1999 and finished in January of 2000, just on time to present it to khevron on the occassion of his cermony to enter the Order of the Pelican. It is done in cotton, using the laid-and-couched work technique.